Twitter FaceBook
Special Offers!
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does it hurt to drill into the bone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it hurt to drill into the bone?

When I decided to go down the line of getting a dental implant I had no idea what was involved in it. Basically I just thought that it would be like having a crown fitted or something similar. I didn’t realise that the bottom of it was actually screwed into the bone. When I heard this it has put me off having them. The thought of it chiselling into the bone makes me wince and cringe. I know you have local anaesthetic but how can this be enough? Would a proper anaesthetic not be the way to go. I feel like it would hurt and feel odd to have this done. What have other peoples experiences been like with it, any ideas? I just don’t want it to hurt or I cannot go through with it.
    X

Hello,
    Thank you for your post.
    During the treatment you should not feel any pain at all because the area will be under local anaesthetic. The surgeon will not start the work until he or she is sure that the area is fully numb. Although having a dental implant is seen as an invasive surgery in dentistry it is still not necessary to have a general anaesthetic to complete the procedure. General anaesthetic is reserved purely for medical procedures within a hospital. If you are concerned about having the oral surgery or are worried that you will find certain aspects of it difficult then you could discuss the option of having dental sedation so that you are not aware of what is happening during the appointment. Deep IV sedation will induce a dreamlike state and you will not remember anything of the procedure afterward. I understand your concerns but dental implant surgery is a very common treatment and the vast majority of people are extremely happy with the results and think that it is worth it.
    Dental Implant treatment provided in Kingston, London using Straumann, Camlog and Nobel Biocare dental implants placed by highly experienced Implantologist.

Comment

Working...
    X